Tuesday, February 14, 2012

New Windows for the New Year

What a winter, eh? Temperatures are nowhere near normal, at least not in most parts of the country. While I'm not complaining about the relatively mild weather we're having here, I am a tad disappointed that I haven't had a chance to test my new windows.

They were installed last spring, just after I'd spent another winter trying to make those so-called 'window quilts' work (they don't.) These are double glazed windows, and that just means that there are two panes of glass. Air is trapped in between and works like a buffer between the cold outdoors and the heated indoors.

Double glazing is reputed to do a fine job of keeping out the cold and wind. Of course, that means the house stays warmer inside and the heating bills stay lower. According to everything I've read, in fact, it could save up to 50 percent, and as you know, I'm all in favor of saving that kind of money.



I'd suggest that you do your research now, while it's still too cold to plant the garden. I found a lot of good information about All Double Glazing on the web but I also checked with my local experts to be sure it was the right choice for our climate.

Comparing my heating costs this year with last year's bills for the same time period, it certainly seems that I've made a good investment. At this point, I definitely would recommend to most of you that you consider an upgrade of this sort before another winter comes around. Of course, the double glazing also helps to keep the house cooler in summer. If you live in an urban or suburban area, there's a nice plus -- double glazed windows reduce outside noise!

No comments:

Post a Comment