Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Easter Dinner Dilemma

We're a fairly traditional family when it comes to holidays. It's turkey for Christmas and ham for Easter, with the usual green bean casserole and other expected side dishes.

I've been wondering if perhaps we ought to shake things up a bit. I've even suggested it from time to time, but the children (fully grown) seem to prefer the same old and familiar ways. As the chief cook, however, I can't help but think about tweaking the menu a little.

Just this morning I was googling for ideas and I ran across a site that primarily sells Easter baskets but they also have Easter gifts of various sorts. Yes, they all look wonderful and I wouldn't mind at all if the bunny left one of these Easter gift baskets for me, but that's not my point.

 In addition to the goodie baskets, though, they've got a smoked apple cured ham. Hmmm. Could I, do you suppose, cook up the usual Easter meal but with minor changes, like this apple cured ham instead of our standard ham ham?  Maybe I could even experiment with the potato salad. Do you think the kids would rebel if I jazzed up the deviled eggs?

Or maybe I should just stick to the expected menu but throw in one extra dish to surprise the gang. I'm open to your suggestions. Got any recipes that would wow my crowd and convince them that change can be a good thing?

No comments:

Post a Comment